Immigrant Hus

Immigrant Hus at Gammelgarden Museum

The Immigrant Hus features the same Swedish log construction as the Gammelkyrkan and the Präst Hus. The exact construction date of this house is unknown, but the original land patent is dated 1855. It was used as a home until the early 1900's and then was used as a granary. Mr. and Mrs. Russell Jackson donated this building to Gammelgården in 1985 when it was moved from its original site on Bone Lake (Bonne Lake). Exterior siding added 1996.

Immigrant Hus at Gammelgarden Museum

Photo by:Carol Seefeldt Photography

Similar size to home dwellings in Sweden and could be built by 2 people and hand tools. In the winter this home could be heated by a wood stove. Early Swedish families did not spend lots of time inside during summer, only during cold weather. Tongue and groove flooring was added later and probably had a dirt floor at first.

Immigrant Hus at Gammelgarden Museum

Immigrant Hus at Gammelgården Museum

Immigrant Hus at Gammelgården Museum

Immigrant Hus at Gammelgården Museum

Immigrant Hus at Gammelgården Museum